1) They always have an audience. I joked about watching them and they smiled saying it happens every single day. I love the kids in this city and their love for being outdoors!
2) They keep all hydrants in tip top shape. Ours was rusted out and didn't turn on "easily" so they replaced half of it right then and there!
3) They respond to fires to make sure the hydrants are working properly. They can rebuild one in minutes if there's a need!
4) Their trucks have a boiler in them so if a hydrant is frozen over they can shoot boiling hot steam down it and have flowing water in seconds.
5) The movies have it all wrong. You have to hit a hydrant in a VERY specific way to cause water to come bursting out of it. The guy I spoke with said he had seen it once and it was with a semi but even so it had to hit and be a certain distance away for it to trigger and then give the chance for the water to shoot. Who would have thought that Hollywood is fake??? ;)
Of course once they left I realized I had not taken any photos so here's what the adventurers are doing now...


No comments:
Post a Comment