#1: KNOW YOUR FAMILY.
I truly believe this is why we have the success we do. I happen to know that Mr. Bell and I cannot sleep on planes - at least in coach seats! Knowing that I never book night flights. I also know my kids are a full tank of patience in the morning that drains as the day goes on. In addition I have an afternoon napper so I do my best to book morning flights so he is happy and calm and ready to melt after the flight is over.
#2: NO SUGAR.
This is crucial with my adventurers. Every kid is different - therefore refer to #1 - but for us sugar is an adrenaline high so I avoid it like a plague. Bagels are great. Do you know how long it takes a kid to eat a plain bagel? Apple slices, pb&j sandwiches, every carb you have in the pantry - take a reusable bag full of snacks that way you can fold it up or fill it again for the ride home. Crackers are perfect for take off and popping ears ;). You can also take an empty sippy for the plane so your kid doesn't soak themselves with the infamous plastic cups (like mine did this last trip).
#3: HAVE A SPECIAL TREAT.
H-man LOVES watching a show...or 12. I purposely upload his current favorite show on the tablet and limit screen time in the day or 2 before traveling so he can binge. Miniature could play for awhile with a car/train/plane/you-get-the-idea as long as its new. I buy a small toy or 2 on Amazon and pack it without him knowing. Removable stickers are fun as well as Crayola Color Wonder (they color clear!).
#4: GET YOUR KIDS EXCITED.
We talk about not only the upcoming trip, but we talk about how fun it will be to fly high on the sky to get there!
#5: EDUCATE YOUR KIDS.
Especially when I'm traveling solo I make sure to walk the adventurers through the seriousness of a bustling airport. They have learned that security is a place to replicate a mother goose with her goslings. We also have clarified when and where they can run and play and when they need to stay at our sides.
#6: NEVER HURTS TO ASK.
I always ask if it's a full flight and if not if I can be put in an empty row. Chances are they will agree that freeing a poor soul from sharing your row is a bonus for everyone.
#7: BUY A DINGY TRAVEL STROLLER.
We all know the strollers get thrown like the javolin in the Olympics (by the way did anyone see that Polish girl this week? Amazing distance!) and who wants a good stroller ruined? Until airports rent them like carts - which they totally should - I choose to not stress about them tossing my double umbrella I got on Amazon for less than $100.
#8: PACK STRATIGICALLY.
Do not pack with the weather or length of vacation as priority. Pack with the knowledge that you alone will have to get it all to and from the car on both ends. If this is your main thought you will lower your stress level tremendously!
#9: ACCEPT THE HELP.
It's always shocking to me how many people offer to help me. Almost every time I've flown solo with the adventurers a dad on business has come and helped carry a bag or car seat. Obviously use wise judgment and give them a once over first, but take the help when needed. This also means if a grandma on the plane can't stop waving at your baby - ask her to hold the baby so you can use the restroom or change another kid's diaper. Sometimes strangers will surprise you...sometimes!
Now if someone could please tell me how to deal with time zone changes with kids that would be great because I surely don't have that one figured out!
Until rest time - Mrs. Bell

No comments:
Post a Comment