Saturday, September 9, 2017

Bowling or Hamilton?

It all began a few months ago when Mr. Bell and I decided to look at getting Hamilton tickets for our anniversary.  It only took a quick search to see how crazy expensive ticket (re)sale value is and how even 4 months out, every ticket seems to be sold.  We said forget it.

Two weeks ago Mr. Bell happened to look at ticket sales for the other Broadway show currently in town - Aladdin - and asked if I'd like to go.  I said sure.  The tickets were alarmingly inexpensive and available in abundance so we didn't feel any urgency in purchasing.

Fast Forward to Tuesday: 3 days before our date night.

Knowing that I could get Aladdin tickets without a problem I decided to randomly enter the Hamilton lottery for Friday night.  I knew I would be notified by Thursday at 11am so by 11:05am I could get my Aladdin tickets if I didn't win.  Thursday came.  I didn't win.  Aladdin was suddenly SOLD OUT.  What!? I was shocked and feeling terrible for my choice to wait.  I chose to then do what any wife trying to salvage a great date night does: I prepped myself mentally to drop off H-man at school the next morning and haul the other 2 on the train to wait in line for rush tickets at the Aladdin box office.  We did make it and it went as well as it could have, however, they ran out of tickets before they reached my place in line.  Fail again.

At this point I opted to walk over to the Hamilton box office and ask if they had ANYTHING for that night's performance.  The lovely gentleman told me they were sold out, but the cast members have tickets that they sometimes release during the day if their preferred guests can't make it.  He told me to hang out and check back.  Right.  Hang out in the middle of downtown with a 3 year old on a scooter and a 1 year old who at times was boycotting the stroller.  I smiled and thanked him and headed back toward the train.

When our babysitter arrived Mr. Bell asked if I wanted to go bowling.  I said I really wanted to check both box offices in the off chance that some cast tickets had been released.  He complied, but said let's be prepared to go bowling.  I was okay with that.  We took the train to Aladdin and they said what they had said that morning: SOLD OUT.  We headed over to the Hamilton box office and walked up as another couple did the same.  We patiently stood behind them in line as we heard the same lovely gentleman tell them there were only 2 tickets (cast released) available at face value.  FACE VALUE!  These tickets are usually marked up 300% on resale sites!  I nudged Mr. Bell and said, "We have to get them if they don't!"  The couple seemed to have hoped to snag rush tickets for a super deal, so they declined the tickets. We didn't even say 'Good Evening' when we stepped up - we only said, "We'll take them!".

After a quick and amazingly delicious dinner across the street, we sat in our 12th row center seats and fully enjoyed the show.  We had bought the tickets 1 hour prior to curtain.  This was certainly a time when our spontaneity worked in our favor! :)
Until rest time - Mrs. Bell



No comments:

Post a Comment